5.02.2011

History Lesson: One Wrecked Freight Car

I received this e-mail after I posted the blog about the engine issues and wanted to share it as a brief glimpse into the beginning of the boat:



Katie,

May be I told you this story, but reading about the broken pipe, made me think about the first time I heard about engine.  I had left the railway and one day I was having lunch with your dad, and he told me that he had decided to build a boat in his back yard.   He had read a book and it said that a third of the cost of the boat is in the engine, a third was in the hull and a third was in the rigging.  A few days after he read the book the IC had derailment and your dad found out that one of the badly damaged cars was a refrigerator car with a Detroit Diesel engine, ideal for a boat.  He asked the person on the railway in charge of disposal of damaged property if he could buy the engine, and was told he could have it for $50!  So please tell you dad he should not complain about the engine it only cost him $50!   I will tell you the next part of the story; A few days later he was having lunch with a person who was trying to sell the railways something ( I do not remember what) but your dad mentioned he was building a boat and the person said what are you building it out of, and the person said his company would sell him a truck load of off cuts of steel sufficient to build the boat for $250, so at this point your dad told me so far he had invested $300 plus the cost of the book and plans in the boat.  It took him a few weekends and occasional help from friends to put it all together (so he should not complain about his friend’s work that only lasted 30 years!!)   Ask him he has any complaints about the free stainless steel studs I got him?

Thanks for writing your blog, I really enjoy reading it, maybe there is a touch of jealousy on my part.

Cheers, David

No comments: