8.19.2010

12 Days...

I got excited about the trip for the first time yesterday.  I was losing the excitement and was facing more of the reality of what I've decided to do.  In theory the trip sounds amazing and I'm sure it will be, an experience of a life time... but I'm getting all of the normal apprehensive feelings that are expected when a person quits her job and agrees to spend maybe a year of her life on a boat with her father leaving her pug, boyfriend, and comforts of home behind.  Have I mentioned that I haven't actually been on the boat... to sail... in about a decade (give or take a year or two)?  And even when I was on the boat it was a day sail here or there, with my parents doing the majority of the actual sailing... 

My brother contributed to the conversation this evening sharing an article he read in the New York Times that discusses the difference between our generation and our parent's generation.  While it's an old topic that has been discussed in great detail over the years, it's hitting particularly close to home.  We are both living at home right now, unemployed, not looking for marriage or families in the near future, and are OK with this.  We aren't freaking out or feel any overwhelming sense of urgency to get on that great big important adult future that our parents had the pressures to achieve at our age.  While this could be argued as both good and bad, we are both listening to the advice that has been passed down from that generation to "Do things while you are young and not committed to a family, job, or any of the other thing that would tie you down."  We've both heard this said over and over and have both taken this advice literally.  Chris graduated college early to sail with Dad across the Atlantic Ocean and travel norther Europe.  I've quit my job and am picking up where he left off (with a little gap where Dad had other help) and am helping him travel the Mediterranean Sea starting in Rome at the beginning of September and ending, with our fingers crossed, in Kemer, Turkey for the winter (landing early November and staying until it's not too cold).  While our adventures now may make finding a "real" job later more of a challenge, I am personally seeing this as one of the ultimate adventures of my life.  It will be an accomplishment that I can look back on and say "I did that" and be proud.  

I became excited when I met Chuck and Judy who will be accompanying us for about a month in the Greek Islands.  I've met and sailed with them before, but I don't remember it so meeting them again was a good chance to discover that they seem like genuinely nice people who are excited about the trip... and who have sailing experience.  They are my parent's age and retired.  It was fun sitting down and just talking about minute details like what to pack and where and how they would meet us in Greece.  They are going to fly to Italy and hit the main cities there and then make their way to Corfu where hopefully we all intersect and continue through the islands to Athens, which may or may not be where they get off.  We'll keep going south, like I said to Kemer, Turkey to get out of the EU and avoid any major taxes that comes with sailing a boat around Europe for a year an a half.  Plus we've heard from other sailors and the internet that Kemer is a good place to winter... festivals and a decent climate.  

That's the plan as of right now... things can change at the drop of a hat.  Weather, crew members, technicalities with the boat, all determining factors of how far we get or where we go.  This is going to be a place where I'll fill whoever wants to read about it, in on my adventures as I encounter them.  Keep in mind that I will not have internet access often so posts may be few and far apart, but when I do I'll try to keep things interesting and include a photo or two for visual aid.  

Yesterday I also went to Chamblin's Bookmine and purchased 20 used books to take with me to add to the collection already on the boat.  There is a lot of time to read and think... and read... so I'm taking this as a chance to catch up on books I should have read in high school that I may have only skimmed or read with the sole purpose to pass a test, books that other people have recommended, and books that just sounded interesting.  I have a book list of ones that I have read going on the right hand side of the blog.  It's going to be a hodge podge list with no rhyme or reason but I'll let you know if anything stands out as a "must read".

That's all I've got for right now.




1 comment:

Mary Bolla said...

Hello Katie! Hope you have fair winds and calm seas!! Of course the two don't always go together, so Dramamine up and you'll do great! Love Mom